Of all of our girls, Doodle is the most like me. Verbal with a wonderful creative streak. Sensitive. Remembers everything. Warm and welcoming once you get to know her. Sometimes lacks a filter. Keenly focused on fairness. Curious. Loves organization and lists. Stubborn. Loyal to her friends. Perfectionist. Loves to be in control. She is so like me in so many ways that I was surprised when we had teacher conferences.
Apparently, the Doodle is great at math and science. She is also an accomplished and talented artist for her age. She does just fine at reading but is very quick with numbers. See, I had made the assumption that because she was like me in many ways, our strengths would be the same. Not so. It was a great reminder to keep our expectations of our kids in check. The good news is, I wasn't actively trying to fit her in a mold or force her one way or another. It was just that my lens, my perceptions, didn't quite match reality.
I knew that the Doodle was good at math. She loves her math homework and wants to do it first. I knew that she was good at science--I don't know any other kids that as toddlers would watch the BBC Earth documentaries over and over. It was just that I had never really thought of her as a math and science person.
Don't get me wrong, ever since Mrs. Guinand scarred me in junior high math, I was determined that our girls would embrace math. I ordered all sorts of educational toys to increase spacial awareness and math readiness. I was determined not to pass on my self doubt about math to them. I've been actively TRYING to raise Science and Math Geeks, with a capital G.
I'm glad she loves math and science. I'm going to encourage her. But I'm also going to try to keep my labels in check and try not to over emphasize any one subject over another. While it's great she is a science/math kid, I'm going to try and make sure that is not all she is.
I'm also going to research serious art classes for kids her age--something I know very little about. Not sure where the artistic talent came from, but I'm going to try and nurture it.
This was a great lesson in parenting. And a wonderful reminder to embrace our children as they are, for who they are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment