Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Stacey and The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day -- So Far

So I knew I had to do some yucky stuff at work today, but I was looking forward to getting our social report. Pictures! Information! Lots of goodness about the newbie! And I've got nothing, zero, nada, zilch, zippo. Our wonderful, very patient social worker told me that they tried to send social reports from Ethiopia today but are having problems--blackouts, dial-up Internet, you get the picture. Ugh. And now its 10:00 p.m. in Addis and I am losing hope.

Let me be clear: I am a type-A, detail oriented person. Less so since I had the girls, but way more so that the average human. I've spent the last 10 minutes trying to think of scenarios of how to get the information.....maybe one of the adoptive parents there can load it on to their zip drive and send it from the guest house computer! Maybe....yeah right, not helpful.

This is one of the more frustrating things about adoption and this adoption in particular. It is a concept that everything happens on it's own time, not on your time. In my case, I'm now thinking of it as Africa time. My head understands how difficult it must be to do business when your power goes out unexpectedly and you are using not the latest equipment and you have dial-up; but my heart just wants to see those pictures. To see that the newbie is happy and growing and to give me some hope that we will pass court tomorrow.

On a positive note, if you haven't read Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good very bad day you should, even if you are a grown up. It is great. I think Mommy is going to choose the bedtime reading tonight!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Ugh. That really is a no good, very bad day (and I love that book, too). Maybe it will be a nice present for passing court? :)