Thursday, April 1, 2010

Heredity

The worst part of our collective genetics is being exercised in our children. The older girls had crowns put on 4 of their baby molars (3 for Moo, 1 for Doodle). The perfect storm of having teeth too close together(from me)and cavity attracting teeth (Dan). To top it all off with sprinkles, Doodle broke out in hives on the outside of her cheek after the procedure (hmmm, possible latex allergy--that's going to make for an interesting safe sex talk!). So, in addition to the dentist looking at me like I was a crack mother who gives my kids kool aid in flasks before bedtime (thanks for the image Jennifer!) I had to worry about the Doodle's new allergy.

Two days later, after removing a band aid on her face, she broke out into hives. Those are my genes, too, I have an allergy to colophony--which would not be a big deal, except that it means I can't decorate a real christmas tree, can't wear regular band aids and had several unfortunate incidents with waxing until I figured it all out. And of course, Doodle's a snotty mess now that spring has sprung, again, my bad genes. Truly, if this were prehistoric times, I would have been left by the herd and been eaten by a saber tooth tiger long before I procreated.

I've been giving her allergy meds, and asking Dan every day whether it's time to call the allergist. I think he's finally breaking down. I don't have the heart to tell Doodle about allergy testing and a possible childhood filled with allergy shots.

This morning, the Newbie started with the sniffles. And I think, nuts. I hope it's a cold. I would hope that after suffering the loss of her birthplace and her birth family, that she would at least be spared the worst of our crappy genetics and prove to be healthier and more fit than the rest of us. To have the benefit of the nurture without the crappiness of our combined natures. We'll see. Dan thinks it's allergies.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I hear you about the bad genes. I look at Lana's coordination/clumsiness--yep, that's straight from me. Lacey has a milk allergy and eczema--that's from me too. There are so many other things I hope I didn't pass onto my girls, yet every time I see one, I cringe a little.

BTW, after much deliberation I just took Lacey to the allergist (for food allergy testing, not environmental) and I am so glad I did. Its good to have the information, not just what she is allergic to, but what she is not allergic to as well.

Susan said...

Poor Doodle! Re: allergy shots -- talk to your doctor about whether you can do drops instead. That's what K takes and it is WAY easier. You don't have to go to the doctor's office to get them and there are no needles (after the initial testing, of course) -- just a few drops under the tongue once a week. The best development ever.

Also, K has the family allergies, despite having no genetic relationship, so I wish you luck with the Newbie.

Christina said...

Still laughing...sorry. :)