Monday, December 29, 2008

Telling the Girls

Being the anal retentive folks that we are, Dan and I agonized over how to tell the girls about the newbie (That's what I'm going to call her here. We haven't decided on a name yet, and no obvious nicknames, so until we meet her newbie it is). I remember very clearly when my Dad called from the hospital to tell me that I had a baby brother. I wanted the moment to be right. Dan and I practiced what we would say. We taught Mary Poppins how to use the camera that takes video. I made two copies of the referral picture. Here's how it went:

"Girls, we have something important to talk about. Let's have a family meeting."

"Can we watch a movie?"

"After the meeting. Sit here on the couch."

"What have we been waiting for all of these months?"

Doodle, "Christmas."

"Yes, but what else have we been waiting for?"

Doodle, "A baby."

"Yes, a baby. Your Dad and I just got word today that you have a baby sister. Here is a picture of her."

Doodle, "She looks silly."

Moo says nothing and silently lets the photo slip to the floor.

Doodle, "She has creepy eyes." Note: The baby has big beautiful eyes, not creepy in any way.

Dan," Do you have any questions?"

Moo,"No."

Doodle, " I'm going to tickle the questions out of her!" Much tickling ensues.

Moo, "Can we watch a movie?"

Not really the reaction I was hoping for. We debated about whether to save the video, but when I uploaded it to the computer, it saved only as a photo file. I guess karma took care of that decision for us!

They showed some interest in the "Big sister" t-shirts I got them, which were covered in crystals. I think it's just going to take some time to sink in.

1 comment:

I Love Purple More Than You said...

I'm sure it's hard to feel real for them at this point. My kids reacted the same way. They weren't excited about her until we arrived home with her and they finally met her face to face. Now they adore her.

But still, I know it's disappointing when you don't get the reaction you are hoping for.