Wednesday, January 28, 2009

See what I mean?

In light of my recent post about implicit bias, here's one striking example of totally overt racism--it makes me sick to my stomach. I think some of my friends were surprised by some of the comments I personally received regarding the adoption, but clearly racism is out there and kicking. I post here, not to give this guy more press, but rather to give people a chance to respond, in a polite, appropriate way, to the baker himself and to spread the word to like minded people in New York to boycott this guy's bakery. The text below is from a posting on my adoption forum, but here are some other links, some with pictures, which I refuse to post:

National Post Article

Racismreview.com

Huffingtonpostarticle

Drunken Negro Cookies: New York Baker's Offensive Obama Tribute


Lafayette French Bakery, a pastry shop in New York's Greenwich Village, started selling "Drunken Negro Face" cookies on Martin Luther King Day in 'honor' of President Obama.

One customer told My Fox NY that store owner Ted Kefalinos said to her, "Would you like some drunken negro heads to go with your coffee? They're in honor of our new president. He's following in the same path of Abraham Lincoln; he will get his."

Kefalinos spoke with Gothamist, and denied suggesting that Obama would be assassinated. However, he saw nothing wrong with the cookies themselves.

Later, he apologized to the New York Daily News.

"I'm sorry that people were offended by the cookie. We were just trying to make a large number of people happy, and instead we made a large number of people confused and angry."

In a followup interview with My Fox NY, Kefalinos said he had been getting death threats over the cookies.

link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/26/drunken-negros-cookies-ne_n_161073.html


Here is their info if anyone is interested in contacting them.
Lafayette French Pastry Bakers Inc
26 Greenwich Ave
New York, NY 10011
(212) 242-7580

No comments: