Guestblogging for Stacey.....this is the update for Monday, April 27th
Today started with chanting at 5 am from the Ethiopian Orthodox Church nearby. I've been able to go back to sleep most mornings, but this time, it was louder and longer. Apparently it was a big feast day, the day of St. Gabriel. When I went downstairs, another parent was already there and we were joined by another parent soon thereafter. At least I wasn't alone at 5 am. Dan, of course, was snoring away.
We stopped to buy Ethiopian formula (mostly sugar) in the morning and went to the care center for a going away party for the kids. It was really poignant. The nannies there do really love our kids. There were prayers and they make a copy of each of the kids' hand prints. One really sad/hopeful thing is that the bigger kids in the orphanage participate in the ceremony. I think it is nice to give them an opportunity to say goodbye to their friends, but I wonder how hard it is for some of them who have not received a referral for a forever family.
The newbie was in true form. She was happy to see us and very observant. We tried to feed her at the care center, but all she would do is make raspberries and spit the food back at Dan. Back to the guest house and an experiment with a bottle. Most of it ended up on Dan. We switched to a cup and then got some into her.
The newbie and I took a great sweaty nap today. At first she would not fall asleep, she was so excited to be with us. She was so smiley today, bouncing in the Bjorn, laughing and giggling. What a difference a few days and some IV fluids makes!
We think maybe she has bedbugs or scabies, so we creamed her with the cream, and we'll see if she looks better tomorrow. I have refrained from spraying everything with the anti body lice stuff and hopefully we won't get it.
She did eat some cereal and carrots today, and boy is she a messy eater! I clearly didn't bring enough bibs--especially since there is a lot of drool going on.
Sadly, my asthma is flaring because of the pollution and the dust and the diesel fumes on our trip yesterday. I'm trying to hold off on the oral meds (I'm using my inhaler), since they make it difficult to sleep and that is hard enough here.
After we had the newbie back at the guesthouse, I had a low moment. I was so tired and hot and I just wanted to go home. The newbie also spit up all over the last clean pair of gauchos I had.
It's pretty hard to take care of a baby with no hot water and sometimes no electricity. And, we can't leave the windows open (no screens) or the doors (roving packs of stray cats and dogs). Yes, the electricity was off today. Not that it makes a difference--no ac anyway, but at least with the electricity the water is cold or hot. I just wanted to cry. But I sucked it up and we went to the other guest house for dinner.
Things are better now. The newbie is a joy, even if Dan is totally hogging all of my snuggles. He's determined to make this one a Daddy's girl. With a little sleep this evening, I think things will be better in the morning.
Tomorrow afternoon is the Embassy appointment for the visa. Laundry is a priority in the morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment