Saturday, May 2, 2009

Home!

Barely home, that is.  We both ended up with pneumonia-- Dan's started to hit the day before we came home.  He had a high fever and chills at the Addis airport.  I thought for sure we would be quarantined because he looked so bad and everyone's panicking about that flu thing, but thankfully made it home after 24 hours of travel.  He got to wear the baby while I schlepped the luggage.  It was a good thing because after pushing our luggage up a gentle hill at Addis, he about passed out.

The newbie is doing great.  She's eating like a champ, sleeping and now teething with a vengeance.  I had to dig out those teethers that you can freeze today.  Favorite foods so far include bananas, carrots and sweet potatoes.  Cereal not so much, but I'm mixing a bit in with the baby food.  

Her sisters LOVE her.  We've had to say on more than one occasion, "give her some space!" I wonder how long it will be before the fun factor wears off and they are annoyed with her.

My mom and aunt came by with lunch today, so we at least had one reasonable meal.  Dan and I are still a bit jet lagged, and since the baby woke up at 3:30 and 6:30 to pound milk and the other girls woke up then, too, it was a long day.  Last night, Dan was kicked to the curb (aka the old guest room, now the newbie's room) and all 4 of us girls slept in our big bed.

I've put a few photos on the slide show of the newbie.  I have to warn you people, it's not pretty.  No blow dryer, some days without any water to take a shower, heat that melted what little makeup I put on, clothes covered in dust, pneumonia, asthma--you get the idea.  Especially when I post the rest of the pictures of the trip.  You'll see.  Hideous.

More later!




6 comments:

PTC&E said...

I think you look beautiful, and so, so happy. And she is a seriously beautiful baby. I can't wait to hear all about it and you and her and the girls and Dan. You have 3 girls!!!

Stepping on Legos said...

Welcome home! So sorry about the flu but dang, Newbie is the cutest thing EVER! She's sweet sweet medicine!

Christina said...

Welcome home, welcome home! Glad you're surviving, sorry for the sickness. Blech. But I'm loving the pictures and can't wait to see more! *ahem* All three girls together, maybe? :) Congrats again on a beautiful, if slightly under the weather, start to life as a family of five.

Robin Funk said...

welcome home! looks like she is fitting in great. the picture of all 4 girls is so cute!

Heather Zenzen said...

OMG, she's SO cute! Hope y'all feel better soon, and CONGRATS!

Julie said...

Congratulations!!! Welcome home! She is beautiful and you all look so happy. Poor Dan--I have done an international flight sick as a dog and it is horrendous. I really enjoyed your daily updates.