It started with the lone purchase of a flowered pair for gymnastics last summer. They were perfect--fitted but not too tight, no pockets and they were acceptable per the gymnastics dress code. Then she began to wear them every day. Then it was fall, phew! At the beginning of this summer, I bought a few more pairs because really, who wants to do that much laundry? Suddenly, that was all she would wear. We have them with monkeys, ladybugs, and flowers. We have solid colors and polka dot. We have a few extra long pairs with rhinestone hearts on them. I thought, ok, so I'll buy the matching shirts. It won't be so bad. Except that she refuses to wear the matching shorts and shirts combos. The photo above is one of the more acceptable outfits. Most of the time she looks like some elf who escaped from a whacked out biking race.
The irony is that she can't even ride her bike without training wheels yet.
I didn't care too much at first, since she was going to preschool. But now, it's kindergarten, and I'm afraid she will be made fun of. It's bad enough that she packs the oddest lunch known to man and is a teacher's pet who follows all the rules. Now this? Before I know it, she's going to be that girl--the weird one who eats the paste.
I blame myself, really. I have a fondness for 70's and 80's tunes. I'll bet if you listen to certain Madonna tunes backwards they tell you to buy bike shorts in neon colors, lace gloves, and those jelly bracelets. Truly, even clothes a la Linda Evans in Dynasty would be better.
In the meantime, we've negotiated that she will wear a skirt for picture day. If anyone has any ideas on how I can break this bike shorts habit, I'm all ears. In the meantime, it's all 80's all the time here.



1 comment:
Until you mentioned it, it never occurred to me to be concerned about bike shorts. They're really the only shorts that fit K -- all other shorts she's tried this year quite literally fall off of her. So, she wears a lot of bike shorts. So do her friends. I don't think Doodle will stand out at school nearly as much as you think. Seriously, you have plenty of other things to worry about. Don't stress about this.
Post a Comment