
We tried our hand at making homemade Ethiopian food yesterday, and it went pretty well. We made Alicha Sega Wot (mild beef stew), kik Wot (red lentil stew) and Warm Cabbage (from Marcus Samuelsson's cookbook, The Soul of a New Cuisine. The recipes for the Alicha Sega Wot and kik Wot were taken from the ethiopianspices.com website, where we got some of the spices and the bread, the injera. Next time, I would make a few adjustments, like less oil in the beef stew, and no lentils in the warm cabbage. Also, I mixed red and green lentils in the stew and the green cooked way longer than the red, so the consistency is a little off. I had to add way more water (2+ cups more) to the lentil stew than the recipe called for. One tip, the beef stew can be started on the stove (I browned the meat and caramelized the onions first) and then thrown in a crockpot (5 hours on low). Also, thanks to the staff at our local Penzey's Spices. They helped us find some spices from the Samuelsson cookbook that go by other names than the names he used in the book.
On a side note, Dan made the cabbage dish on his own, even making the Ethiopian spiced butter, the nit'ir quibe. He's getting to be handy in the kitchen, branching out from the grill, spaghetti, frozen pizza, and trader joe's simmer sauces.



No comments:
Post a Comment