Saturday, October 25, 2008

Jamming out, 70's style

So today in the minivan, somewhere between the farmers' market and Target, Brickhouse came on the radio. Doodle exclaims from the back seat, "Turn it up, Mom! That Brickhouse is my favorite song!!" Moo says, "Turn it up, Mom, real loud!!" Doodle sang the chorus and Moo chimed in with the "Shake it down, shake it down now."

See, I love 70's music. Currently in my car is a two disc set of 70's Gold (purchased from Costco, in case any of you are 70's music freaks like me) and the essential Earth, Wind and Fire. I happily received the entire Neil Diamond music library for Christmas one year. I know, it's a problem....... and, as an aside, aren't you totally creeped out that "Sweet Caroline" was actually written for a pre-pubescent Caroline Kennedy?? It almost ruins it for me.

A few songs later, Doodle says, "Nama loves this one!" It was "I Feel Love" by Donna Summer. Yeah, I KNOW she likes that one. See, I come by my taste in music naturally. I have vivid childhood memories of my mom blasting the radio and singing at the top of her lungs in her giant powder blue Mercury Marquis to either 70's, Motown, or Broadway musicals (a different story for a different day).

When my mom took the girls a few weekends ago. I left my music in the car. When she returned the minivan, she remarked at how much she liked the radio station I selected, and was astounded as to how few commercials there were. Uh, Mom? That was the 70's Gold CD, not the radio. There are like 20 songs on each disc. At least now I know what get her for Christmas.

So we rounded out the errands trip with YMCA. Doodle wanted to know what the YMCA was. Great....where to go with that one? I told her that it was a great workout place and sometimes they are also nice hotels. What??? It was the best I could do at the time!

Chalk it all up to another issue they will be dealing with in therapy.

2 comments:

Lucy Divis said...

I love 70's music too! Did you see that report on how the beat to "Staying Alive" is the appropriate speed for chest compressions when doing cpr??

Also the image of those girls singing brick house is priceless!

Stacey said...

I totally saw that report and meant to tell Dan. I think the report also said that "Another one bites the dust" also works. Ha! Ask the girls to sing for you, they would totally do it, especially Moo. She can be a total ham!