Saturday, October 18, 2008

They're Not Young


So for the last three Saturday mornings, I've been volunteering with the Obama campaign. Basically, I get up super ass early and help prepare volunteers who are going to canvass in other states (my state, thankfully, is very blue). Sometimes, I bring breakfast treats--note that Obama volunteers seem to love Dunkin' Doughnuts (the chocolate ones-- jelly ones and those big long johns with vanilla icing just sit there), diet coke, and coffee. Coincidence? You be the judge.

Anywhoo, when I started to volunteer, I received emails from a coordinator who used phrases like, "if you like that action, you can show up at.....". Based on these emails, and all of the talk of young people getting involved, I expected to show up on that first Saturday and see all of these 20 and 30 year olds sipping their lattes, talking politics, texting, super excited...maybe even a few teenage environmentalists. Boy, was I wrong!! The coordinator who sent me the hip email is probably a very spry 68-72 year old who talks about her retired husband needing a walker occasionally. The woman who prepares the canvassers clocks in at about 62, and one of the senior organizers is a 48-50 year old woman. They ARE energetic, and devoted to the cause, but they are not young. Most of the volunteers aren't spring chickens, either. I think one week, out of about 50 volunteers, we had two teenagers and one person in her 20s. The majority were in the 50s and 60s.

Now I'm proud of these folks, and they make my measly effort seem pathetic. I'm glad that they've made me one of their peeps, but it was a surprise. I suppose in other areas there are more young folks, or they are participating on facebook or something--but in my neck of the woods, they are mature.

So here's a shout out to my Dems, I'm off to make my phone calls for Obama.

P.S. If you live in my state (you know who you are) and want to help, let me know and I can hook you up with my campaign friends. Oh and vote early if you can.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Did you mean to say "The Facebook"?